[Winpcap-users] Re: [Ethereal-dev] Re: Subject: [Ethereal-users] Undefined struct 'sockaddr_storage' compiling under Win32

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 08:28:44 GMT 2005

Ulf,
the dependence on the platform SDK has been introduced, if I remember
well, in the first alpha of 3.1, when we added the ability to return
IPv6 addresses for the datected adapters.
The PacketGetNetInfoEx() function of packet.dll returns these addresses
to the calling application in an application-allocated array of struct
sockaddr_storage, and therefore the application needs the definition of
that structure.
If I remember well, wpcap has a different approach: it provides storage
for addresses in the list created by pcap_findalldevs, therefore the
application can use a normal struct sockaddr and ignore the address if
it doesn't understand IPv6. This is the reason, I think, why we don't
document the dependence on the platform SDK in the developer's pack:
wpcap-based apps *should* not be dependent on the platform SDK (I may be
wrong, I didn't try without it recently), and the developer's pack *is*
for wpcap-based apps.

The platform SDK is freely available on the internet (just google
"platform SDK"), and in a general way it's suggested when developing
networking applications for Windows.
BUT, since last version, MS decided to make it incompatible with Visual
Studio 6, and therefore you are forced to have VS.NET or better to for
the definition of struct sockaddr_storage.
Or define it on your own somewhere.

Loris