[Winpcap-users] Some (stupid ?) questions from a newbie

David Barnish david.barnish at spanlink.com
Thu Sep 8 14:42:35 GMT 2005

Xavier,

The packets that you get can contain many different protocols.
The ethernet packet encapsulates other protocols, which in turn can encapsulate other protocols. You will need to go through the encapsulation header to determine what type of packet or data is encapsulated.
As an example, your logic below assumes that you get an Ethernet packet that encapsulates an IP packet (frame?) which in turn encapsulates a UDP datagram which contains data. If you get a TCP datagram rather than a UDP datagram, your logic will break because the layout of bits and bytes in a TCP datagram are different than UDP.

In short, you need to write code to look at each encapsulation, and based on the type of packet it encapsulates, use different code to continue drilling down through the packet to get to the data. But this all depends on what your program is supposed to do. If you are looking only for certain types of packets, you can set a filter so you will only get those types of packets, then you only need to drill down enough to get to the data you are interested in. So if you only want UDP packets, then you only need to determine that it is Ethernet, containing IP, containing a UDP packet. If the IP packet contains a TCP packet, you can skip it and process the next packet. I hope this makes sense.

A good site for getting detailed information on the layout of information in different packet protocols, go to http://www.protocols.com/. This should answer all your questions about what you will expect to see for the different protocols you will see in your packets.

Thank you,
David Barnish

Senior Software Engineer R&D
Spanlink Communications