[Winpcap-users] PacketReceivePacket returns same packet twice?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Fri Oct 6 15:23:43 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ranju V" <avranju at gmail.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 3:10 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] PacketReceivePacket returns same packet twice?

> Hi,
>
> I am using the "Packet.dll" API for doing both packet capture and
> packet transmission (you can take a look at the project if you like;
> its hosted on Sourceforge at this location -
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/ssniff).

Why are you using the packet.dll API instead of the pcap one? Please
remember that the packet.dll is subject to change between different versions
of WinPcap, as documented here

http://www.winpcap.org/docs/docs40b1/html/group__packetapi.html
http://www.winpcap.org/docs/docs31/html/group__packetapi.html

  Everything's working fine
> except that winpcap appears to retrieve the same packet multiple times
> from the network.
>
> Now, it is entirely possible that I am messing things up somewhere.
> Before I plunge into figuring out what I am doing wrong though I'd
> like to confirm that this kind of thing cannot happen while using
> winpcap, i.e., can winpcap return the same network packet twice or
> more than that?

This sometimes happens when the machine is running some sort of personal
firewall or similar software based on an intermediate driver. In this case
WinPcap is sometimes notified twice for every received packet. In order to
double check this, please try capturing with wireshark or windump.

Hope it helps
GV