[Winpcap-users] Possible TOE / Chimney issue -packets not showing up in Wireshark (resolved)

Bryan Mclellan bryanm at widemile.com
Wed Dec 12 00:52:41 GMT 2007

Yup, it's totally a Chimney issue. It's awesome that the driver says TOE is disabled but Chimney is the cause anyways. Perhaps chimney is more or something different than TOE?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912222

1)      I started a capture and display filtered for ldap.

2)      When I saw a bindrequest, I followed the tcp stream and ever saw the full traffic.

3)      I returned to the display filter of ldap

4)      I ran 'Netsh int ip set chimney DISABLED' on the server (according to the above kb article this is the only part of the 'scalable networking pack' (which is integrated into SP2) which can be disabled without a reboot. Other parts require registry mods and a reboot.)

5)      Then I'd start seeing more than just bindrequests, and if I followed the tcp stream on any of these, you'll see the full traffic.

Renabling chimney goes back to producing limited package results.

Bryan McLellan