[Winpcap-users] Memory Management with pcap_next_ex()

David Chang dchang at fsautomation.com
Tue Aug 19 18:46:41 GMT 2008

Slavy,

I think the memory is managed automatically (you do not need to free it).
It is guaranteed to persist until the next pcap_next_ex (or other dispatch
function) call.

At one point I thought the capture buffer was of fixed size.  It is the
classic producer / consumer problem.  Packets get put into the buffer as
fast as they arrive on the interface.  Packets get removed from the buffer
as quickly as your processing function calls pcap_next_ex().  If you do not
remove them quickly enough from the buffer, packets will be dropped.

DC