[Winpcap-users] WinPcap x64 preview

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Aug 20 23:54:07 GMT 2008

In the last weeks I've been working on the port of the user level components
of WinPcap to x64.
The result is an interim build that you can find here

http://www.winpcap.org/install/x64.htm

The page is currently not linked on the WinPcap website.
I plan to update this page with new builds until I'm comfortable with a
WinPcap x64 build.

I encourage anyone interested in x64 to play with this build and report any
problem.

Some important notes (that you can find on the website as well):

- Starting from this build, WinPcap is completely compiled with
  Visual Studio 2005 SP1 (in order to have a single build environment
  for x86 and x64). While the projects for Visual Studio 6 are still
  available in the source package, they are no longer maintained.
- The new VS2005 project files for wpcap.dll and packet.dll have been
  simplified a lot (i.e. less configurations!).
- Big parts of the installer have been rewritten and cleaned up. If
  you encounter any problem installing or removing this build of
  WinPcap with any OS, please let us know.
- The old WanPacket DLL has been removed. The code has been merged
  into packet.dll.
- The developer's pack includes LIB files for both x86 and x64 (for
  Visual Studio). At the moment we don't have the LIB files for
  Cygwin under x64.
- The samples have been ported to Visual Studio 2005, and they
  compile for both x86 and x64 architectures. The old Visual Studio 6
  projects are still available but not actively maintained. A lot of
  them still generate some warnings during the compilation.
- The x64 libraries have been briefly tested with the x64 version of
  the samples, but not with any real-world application, as they
  currently do not exist, with the exception of an internal x64 build
  of WinDump.

Have a nice day

Gianluca Varenni
WinPcap Team