[Winpcap-users] dll Distribution

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Thu Sep 25 18:33:08 GMT 2008

Slavy,

if what you want is just reading/writing files, what I would do is pick the
version of packet.dll and wpcap.dll that have less dependencies, and can run
on all the operating systems from NT4 on.

In particular, wpcap.dll is the same for all the OSes.
If you want to have your app run on all the windows OSes including NT4,
please use packet.dll installed on NT4.
If you don't care for NT4, then use the version of packet.dll installed on
Vista. Also, I suggest you to keep your DLLs in your application folder i.e.
do not install them under windows\system32.