[Winpcap-users] Winpcap in Intanium machine

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 30 12:03:28 PDT 2009

On Sep 30, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Renato Araújo Ferreira wrote:

> I will try to borrow a itanium machine to see if the application
> will work properly. So can I just try to recompile winpcap from it's
> source using a cross-compiler or native one? Will it require a large
> number of source changes to get the basic packet capture operations
> working?

My *guess* would be that it doesn't, as I think current versions of
WinPcap support x86-64, so the code is at least 64-bit clean.  I think
it has a compiler that translates the BPF filter program to machine
code; that compiler supports 32-bit x86 (and there's an x86-64 version
originally done for FreeBSD, which WinPcap might have picked up), but
there isn't one for Itanium, so, if there's no #ifdef, you might have
to disable that.  (BPF still works, it just runs interpretively.)

> Isn't WOW64 an option?

No, because WinPcap includes kernel-mode code (because it requires it,
in order to tap into the networking stack).