[Winpcap-users] [ANNOUNCE] A new home for the WinPcap project!

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Thu Oct 21 13:29:42 PDT 2010

It's a pleasure for me to announce that the WinPcap project just moved to a
new bigger home. CACE Technologies, sponsor and employer of part of the
WinPcap team, has been acquired by Riverbed Technology (NASDAQ:RVBD).

Riverbed, located in beautiful San Francisco, CA, is a fast growing company
that develops WAN optimization solutions and IT performance management
products. The people working at Riverbed definitely know what happens on a
computer network; and this is definitely thrilling!

As some of you already know, the WinPcap project started about 10 years ago
because of the need to run tcpdump on a Windows machine. Both tcpdump and
libpcap were therefore ported to the Microsoft operating system, giving
birth to WinPcap and WinDump; the two projects included the Berkeley Packet
Filter (BPF) inside their core engine. BPF and libpcap were created by Steve
McCanne, co-founder and CTO of Riverbed. This acquisition will close a
circle started years ago at Politecnico di Torino, Italy, the place where
WinPcap started.

I expect very little changes in the WinPcap project. I will remain the
official maintainer of the project and keep running things in the same way
you are all used to.

What will change are the additional resources that a bigger company as
Riverbed can provide to make WinPcap better.

CACE Technologies was co-founded by Loris Degioanni, the original creator of
WinPcap. Without the amazing community of WinPcap users that contributed to
its success, CACE would have not existed in the first place. As CACE
Technologies, we thank you for having been with us through all the years.
And now as Riverbed employees, we are committed to provide you with the same
level of quality.

Feel free to ask any question you might have on this mailing list or at
winpcap-team at winpcap.org and we will be happy to answer them.

Gianluca Varenni
WinPcap Team

Links: