[Winpcap-users] winpcap and ip change

Fish" (David B. Trout fish at infidels.org
Thu Sep 23 07:50:45 PDT 2010

Thorsten Stoffregen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building an application which listen to Level 2
> Realtime Traffic. My problem is, that the overlying
> application has to change the ip address of the interface
> on which I am listening with pcap.
>
> After changing the ip I there are packets missing in the
> capture. Especially pakets with Ethernet.Type = 0x8892
> (Profinet), standard traffic like arp request is still
> visible.

PROFINET appears to be a TCP/IP protocol:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROFINET

As such, it likely depends on a valid IP address in order to work correctly,
yes?

Since you're changing the IP address of the adapter it's hardly surprising
that Profinet packets are being lost.

ARP does not rely on IP. That's why it continues to work, regardless of what
the adapter's IP address is.

Do you have any documentation on Profinet? What its various packet layouts
looks like?

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
 fish at softdevlabs.com