[Winpcap-users] segfault in rpcapd on Linux

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Nov 29 08:47:14 PST 2011

I've encountered a segfault in rpcapd, on linux (2.6.24-18), using winpcap
version 4.1.2.

This same issue was discussed on this list at:

http://www.winpcap.org/pipermail/winpcap-users/2010-April/003770.html

Although the issue has probably already been addressed, I cannot find the
source repository to confirm it's been fixed.

If not, this patch fixes the problem for me:

http://web.olp.net/dwhite/winpcap/rpcapd-segv.patch

The issue was triggered when daemon_seraddr ran into a socket of type
AF_PACKET, and assumed it was an AF_INET6, which caused one of the htons
calls to reverse a pointer in the alldevs pointer structure, eventually
leading to a segfault in the 'send the interface list' loop during a
dereference of the 'd' pointer.

I can provide additional details about my setup if desired.

--
Dan White