[ntar-workers] Simple packet block

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 1 00:20:38 GMT 2005

On Jun 30, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Stephen Donnelly wrote:

> I think having a SPB may be useful in some environments. When
> capturing at high packet rates having unused option fields present
> is expensive in bandwidth and space.

4 bytes of 0's per packet is all that the option field adds if there
aren't any options.  Is that overhead sufficient to make an SPB that
*only* lacks an option field useful?  For a simple capture on only
one interface, the interface ID is unnecessary; if the drops count is
also unnecessary, that eliminates 4 more bytes.  If that capture is
done without a snapshot length, you can also get rid of the Captured
Len field.

> Having the SPB not support the addition of optional fields also
> simplifies parsing and should save time when reading the file.

All blocks begin with a type and length field, so the options don't
have to be parsed when reading the file - you can just skip over the
remaining bytes.  If the application *does* care about the options,
the option parsing code needs to be there anyway, so the only benefit
might be not running that code on an SPB - but checking for the 4
bytes of 0 might not add enough overhead to make a difference.