[ntar-workers] On Markers and Bookmarks

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 05:28:54 GMT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Loris Degioanni" <loris.degioanni at gmail.com>
To: <ntar-workers at winpcap.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [ntar-workers] On Markers and Bookmarks

> Jose M. Gonzalez wrote:
>> Hi, My 2 cents on the markers&bookmarks issue: - I think we should add 2
>> new block types that facilitate faster navigation on NTAR traces, namely
>> backward and forward blocks (REW, FF).
>> Both REW and FF blocks will just be composed of an offset to the next
>> marker.
>>
>>           /---------------------------------\
>>           |                                 |
>> +-------+-|--+-------+-------+-----+-------+v------+-----
>> | block | FF | block | block | ... | block | block | ...
>> +-------+----+-------+-------+-----+-------+-------+-----
>>
>> - This solution permits just fast navigation, without the use of Vern's
>> tcpslice hack, which as Christian mentioned, is not bullet-proof. - This
>> solution is not a bookmarking method. Bookmarking, I agree with
>> Christian, may require something more flexible and richer than just
>> timestamps. Moreover, you may want to apply different bookmarkings to the
>> same trace. I'd store bookmarkings as different files. - SHB can't be
>> used for this, as they are a complete reset of the dumping process. This
>> means you must repeat the interface blocks after every new SHB. I prefer
>> adding FF/REW blocks. Same functionality than SHBs, no need for repeating
>> interface blocks.
>
> I like the FF/REW blocks idea, and it should be quite simple to implement.
> However, do you really think that repeating interface blocks will be a big
> overhead or performance hit? It's really not cler to me.

I like the idea, too. And, as loris said, I don't know what is the actual
benefit (in terms of pure speedup in the seek operations) that we can obtain
with this approach vs. one using multiple sections (and duplicated IDBs). I
hope to find some time in the next weeks to make some tests, and see what
happens.

GV