[ntar-workers] On Markers and Bookmarks

Christian Kreibich christian at whoop.org
Thu Jul 7 18:06:06 GMT 2005

Hey Gianluca,

On Mon, 2005-07-04 at 19:21 -0700, Gianluca Varenni wrote:

> > So what's the verdict on the PacketsBlock/GoPBlock idea?
>
> My verdict would be to use markers and sections, and not make use of
> GoPBlocks. Actually, I'm still thinking of what is the best approach. In
> general GoPBlocks introduce a real hierarchy of blocks in the file format,
> and a hierarchical file format was discarded last year when the pcap-ng was
> first discussed.

mhmm unfortunately I cannot recall that discussion any more. Note though
that I don't mean arbitrary recursive nesting -- just packet blocks
contained in a grouping block. This was on the assumption that it might
be useful to have a grouping mechanism for a bunch of packets on a finer
granularity than sections. So in a sense a GoPBlock is similar to a
marker block that is valid until the next marker, with GoPBlocks having
the added benefit that you can potentially have end-of-GoP content more
naturally.

> I think that the idea of the indexing block is worth more discussion, maybe
> before trying to implement it; moreover, I'm still working quite heavily on
> the library to clean it and offer some missing features that are needed for
> these new block types (in particular, something to allow random access to
> the blocks of a file).

Isn't that just the indexing we're discussing here (including Chema's
navigation blocks proposal)?

> Some random issues/ideas/thoughts that came to my mind in the last days:
> - do we really need markers? can the indexing block can point to packet
> blocks?

I believe yes, as long as the indexing structure in the end just points
to file offsets (relative to section starts), it can point to pretty
much anything.

> - we should remember that two ntar files can be concatenated using "cat". As
> a consequence, the file offsets should be relative.

Yep.

> - can the indexing block index block in multiple sections? There can be byte
> order and interface id issues.

I'd really really really keep sections self-contained.

> - Is the timestamp information to seek in the file enough for the majority
> of apps?

Imho, yes. If the trace gets big, time becomes the primary mechanism for
selections. Even if you're indexing semantically different items (say
markers identifying the beginning of malicious flows, etc) you'll likely
still use time to navigate among multiple instances. I'd love to hear
counterexamples though.

> - how is the timestamp represented? pcap-ng does not have a fixed
> representation for the timestamp precision: the interface description block
> contains a specific option that tells the precision of the timestamps for
> the packets captured on that interface. By default it's microseconds.

I think it doesn't matter too much as long as comparison operations work
universally.

Cheers,
Christian.