[ntar-workers] Seekable file layouts etc

Stephen Donnelly stephen at endace.com
Thu Jun 30 01:46:04 GMT 2005

Christian Kreibich wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 17:31 -0700, Christian Kreibich wrote:
>
>>Here's what I don't like:
>
> ps:
>
> - I don't like the distinction in Packet Block and Simple Packet Block.
> Can't we find some way that the additional fields in Packet Blocks can
> become optional, or could be left blank by the systems short on
> processing time?

Optional fields that are persent but unfilled are wasted space/bandwidth
when storing/capturing. This is especially a problem at high data rates
(several Mpps and up).

I believe this is part of the justification for the simple packet block.

Stephen.
     Stephen Donnelly BCMS PhD           email: sfd at endace.com
     Endace Technology Ltd   	        phone: +64 7 839 0540
     Hamilton, New Zealand               cell:  +64 21 1104378