[ntar-workers] Re: Major rework / review of pcapng file formatin CVS - please review

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Oct 22 21:44:36 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Harris" <guy at alum.mit.edu>
To: <ntar-workers at winpcap.org>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: [ntar-workers] Re: Major rework / review of pcapng file
formatin CVS - please review

> Gianluca Varenni wrote:
>
>> - if_fcslen option: it's not clear what to write in this field when the
>> FCS is variable. 0 and the right effective FCS length in each packet?
>> having the effective FCS length in an option is a bit dumb in my opinion
>> (if we do not have a way to declare that the FCS length is in the option,
>> properly decoding the packets will always require decoding the options of
>> the packet block!
>
> "In a option" meaning "in an option in the Interface Description Block" or
> "in an option in the Packet Block or Enhanced Packet Block"?

My bad, I was not clear at all here. My point is that we should probably
have a way in the fcslen option of the Interface Description Block to say
that the fcslen is per-packet, and it's saved as a per-packet option (e.g.
if_fcslen=0xFFFFFFF). Otherwise the problem is that the if_fcslen (in the
IDB) specifies a "default" FCS, but then you would need to scan the
per-packet options to know if the effective FCS len for that packet is the
"default" one or a specific per-packet one. What I want is a way to say "ok,
the FCS len is fixed, 4 bytes. You will not find a per-packet FCSLEN in the
packet options." or "the FCS is per-packet. You need to read the per-packet
options to know the effective FCS len. If you don't find it, then the FCS
len is the one stored in the IDB".

I hope this clarifies my point.
GV