[ntar-workers] Major rework / review of pcapng file format inCVS- please review

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Oct 24 16:20:09 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Richardson" <mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
To: <ntar-workers at winpcap.org>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [ntar-workers] Major rework / review of pcapng file format
inCVS- please review

>    Gianluca> At the moment there's no anonymous login in place for the
>    Gianluca> NTAR CVS (which is hosted on winpcap.org), mainly because
>    Gianluca> noone needed to access it (up to a couple of weeks ago I
>    Gianluca> was the only one working on it).
>
>    Gianluca> Please contact me offline if you want CVS access to ntar.
>
>  Do you want to just move it to tcpdump.org, where most of the relevant
> people have keys already?
>  Or do you want a tgz of /home/*/.ssh and /etc/passwd, so that you can
> create all the accounts in winpcap.org?

I was actually thinking of leaving it on the ntar CVS (or eventually
creating a separate module just for the document) on our server. Although
the pcap-ng file format is tightly related to tcpdump/libpcap (in the sense
that libpcap will certainly use it), I consider it a separate project
related to trace files, while libpcap is more related to capturing packets
(although it certainly needs to save packets to file!). There are people
that are or might be involved in the pcap-ng specification (or ntar
implementation) that are not directly involved in libpcap (ulf or gerald,
for example). Wrt mirroring the current libpcap CVS accounts to winpcap.org,
I would prefer to do that on a user-by-user basis. Just send me an email
(possibly with your SSH keys) and I will activate your account.
I will also add a clear note on the ntar website specifying how to obtain
CVS access to it.