[pcap-ng-format] TODO in pcap-ng specifications - Vendor/Domain Specific extensions.

Anders Broman a.broman at bredband.net
Wed Jul 25 22:32:20 PDT 2012

>6. How to add Vendor/Domain Specific extensions.
>
>I think we need to specify a mechanism for this in 1.0, or at the
>latest in 1.1 so that we do not have too many incompatible
>versions out there. What do other people feel.
>
>Yes, agreed, there needs some sort of procedure or mechanism for it.
>We need to make sure that extensions make sense and do not clutter the
>specs.

How about:
  vendor_opt Variable length The first byte of the Option Data keeps a code of the vendor indication type, the second byte indicates the length of the vendor indication.
Vendor indication type 0 A UTF-8 string containing the name of the vendor.
Vendor indication type 1 SMI Network Management Private Enterprise Code http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers

The rest of the Data is the vendor specific option(s).

A vendor specific block could be specified using the same mechanism.

Regards
Anders