[pcap-ng-format] Comments for unknown blocks [was Re: opsarea presentation?]

Anders Broman a.broman at bredband.net
Tue Aug 5 19:00:44 UTC 2014

Michael Richardson skrev 2014-08-01 07:01:
> Additional sources of IANA per-enterprise namespace:
>     1) Radius extensions
>     2) DHCP extensions
>
> I am not in favour of this.
> IANA Considerations has enough easy to pass processes to get numbers, no
> specification required.
>
> Enterprises/governments that are super paranoid about having their deeds
> recorded in registries do what they have always done: get TRW to register for
> them.
I'm sorry I don't quite get your objection, are you saying that we
shouldn't define a vendor block type?
But rather have an IANA block type registry and any one can just
register a block type?

Come to think of it perhaps we shouldn't allow block types without a
specification. If it is pcap-ng then
it should be specified what the content is otherwise people can define
their own file formats.
Regards
Anders