[pcap-ng-format] Issue #23: Need to determine how to assign new Block Types/Option Codes in future

Hadriel Kaplan the.real.hadriel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 14:23:16 UTC 2015

[more from the github repo issues list...]

Right now the doc says to contact the authors to assign new block
types. That's not really sensible, imo.

I think one reasonable approach is to ask IANA for new registries for
them, and pick a policy like "Designated Expert" or even
"Specification Required". Because for experimental or proprietary
uses, we have Custom Blocks and Custom Options.

IANA creates registries all the time, and they work reasonably well.

Also, we need to include NRB Record Types for that model as well. (I
don't see any others, but there might be more)

-hadriel