[pcap-ng-format] Proposal for flow/encryption stuff

Hadriel Kaplan the.real.hadriel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 14:49:51 UTC 2015

Hi,
Before commenting on the specific proposals, one thing I noticed is
that for two of the blocks you're using Block Type codes with the MSB
set. In one of the proposals you said this was because it was
experimental. But the number range with MSB set is for local use only
- not for sharing files across systems. For example we can't reserve
numbers in that space in the format spec, because the whole point of
that number range was essentially to be "undefined local use".

But that's not why I raised this topic - the reason I'm mentioning it
is: is this mechanism experimental? For example do you expect it to
need to change based on real-world use? Because if it is experimental,
then I think you should just use a Custom Block and Custom Options,
using your own PEN, and create a separate doc for what it all
means/does if you want other folks to use it - or don't publish that
info if you don't want them to. Then if/when it becomes no longer
experimental, you can either ask for standard type codes, or even just
keep using the Custom Block/Options with your PEN.

-hadriel