[pcap-ng-format] Separate options for "user" and "vendor" descriptions of an interface?

Jasper Bongertz jasper at packet-foo.com
Mon Jan 26 21:42:30 UTC 2015

Sounds good to me.

Another issue with interfaces is that it would be nice to have an
identifier that stays the same across different capture jobs. Windows
captures currently have this with the GUID in the interface name, but
as far as I know all others don't. It is really useful to know that
two captures where recorded on the same interface when merging
captures, especially with multi NIC captures. It makes it a lot easier
for the merging process when it knows that two frames from two
different files can be written to the merged file with just one
interface  entry because its the same in both source files. Having two
"eth0" interfaces doesn't mean they're the same...

I'm not sure though on how to create and keep those indentifiers
persistent  across  multiple  runs of dumpcap. On Windows its
something the OS does (as far as I can tell) and dumpcap uses.