[pcap-ng-format] Separate options for "user" and "vendor" descriptions of an interface?

Jasper Bongertz jasper at packet-foo.com
Mon Jan 26 23:06:01 UTC 2015

There is an option called "if_MACaddr" in the PCAPng interface block
specifications, but so far I have never seen a file where it is
actually present (same goes for "if_IPv4addr" and "if_IPv6addr").

The MAC address was also what came to mind, with the usual "well, it's
allowing to track a specific machine down to the hardware" privacy
concerns - but then again, the Windows GUID will most likely never be
changed for that reason, so its probably not any better.

I have no idea how easy it is to get the capture card's MAC address
and write it to the file... but it's probably a lot easier than the
step 1 thing Guy mentioned.