[pcap-ng-format] Proposal for new "custom" option codes

Hadriel Kaplan the.real.hadriel at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 19:26:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Jasper Bongertz <jasper at packet-foo.com> wrote:

> ... A file should not contain IDBs
> that are not referenced by at least one output packet.

Why not?

> Also, you may want to merge identical IDBs in multiple input files
> into a single IDB in the output file, which is easy for Windows
> captures because interface names are based on GUIDs and a game of
> chance for all other captures.

Yeah there've been several issues raised with that for mergecap so
far, and one abandoned code change as well. [1]

I'm not sure it's worth doing, but couldn't libpcap/whatever in theory
manufacture a GUID for each interface, that remains consistent even if
libpcap or the operating system is upgraded/uninstalled-reinstalled?
(like for example based on the hash of the MAC Address and interface
info strings)  It doesn't have to be perfectly globally unique - just
reasonably globally unique.

-hadriel

[1] https://code.wireshark.org/review/#/c/6983/