[pcap-ng-format] Addition of new content

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 2 22:41:59 UTC 2015

On Sep 2, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Jasper Bongertz <jasper at packet-foo.com> wrote:

> so far I had been under the impression that we're going not going to
> add things to the specs but try to trim/streamline them to a state
> where we can push it to be an official "1.0" version.
>
> If we're going to add new block types like an "Interface Event Block"
> (IEB) (which makes sense to me) this seems not to be the way to go
> anymore, and I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't turn into a
> never-ending story (by keeping adding new "cool" stuff).

There are probably some things that we should consider as features for version 1.0 of the spec if we want to get something out soon, and some that we shouldn't.

I could perhaps make a case for the "descriptive name" interface option being reasonable for a "release it soon" 1.0, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it weren't.

I'm not as sure that an "Interface Event Block" would be appropriate for a "release it soon" 1.0.

Once we have a 1.0, should we continue to have "official releases", or should we have something more like "rolling releases", where, once something's been reviewed enough and checked into the repository, it's part of Official Pcapng?

("1.0" here is a spec number, not a file format number.  I'm not sure what would induce us to change the minor release number, given that one of the design goals of pcapng is to allow programs unaware of new block types or options to just ignore them.)