[pcap-ng-format] Cleanup of the PCAP-NG spec

Erik Hjelmvik erik.hjelmvik at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 08:13:20 UTC 2016

> First of all I want to say I respect both points of view, but I don't
> want to lose either of you working on this together (and anyone else
> offering constructive ideas - not all of them can always be accepted,
> but that doesn't mean they're bad ideas in themselves).
>
> While PCAPng may not be perfect in its treatment of endianess when it
> comes to the current code writing state-of-the-art I think we should
> focus on getting what we have to a final spec without a major base
> code overhaul. Because that would probably mess with all the existing
> implemetations so far. And we might end up kinda like this:
> https://xkcd.com/927/ ;-)
>
> I think if we can compromise on not touching endianess, at least for
> the time being, and fix the remaining issues as well as removing
> obsolete block types, a final spec should be doable.

I understand that all ideas cannot be accepted. But I think that all ideas
should at least be considered and evaluated, so that the good ones can be
accepted. I'm hoping we can have an open discussion regarding the current
flaws in the pcapng spec before finalizing it. The PCAP format has served
us well for the past 20+ years and if we do the pcapng spec right I hope
that it will last another 20+ years. Also, I definitely don't wanna create
yet-another-pcap-standard.

How about we compile a list of the current deficiencies in the pcapng
specification and then have a discussion about each potential problem?
Also, is there some collaboration tool (bugtracker etc.) we can use for
this, or should we try to do it on this mailing list?

Best regards,
Erik