[pcap-ng-format] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Sat Oct 17 23:19:06 UTC 2020

On Sep 28, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> Guy Harris <gharris at sonic.net> wrote:
>> For 2), I note that
>
>> 	https://github.com/pcapng/pcapng/blob/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md
>
>> has a bunch of stuff that GitHub isn't treating as markup, such as the
>> stuff prior to the "Introduction" heading, and the tags such as
>> "{::boilerplate bcp14}".  Is that an extension of Markdown not
>> supported by GitHub's Markdown renderer but supported by some
>> Markdown-to-RFC XML converter
>
> Yes, kramdown-rfc2629. The MT Makefile does all the magic.

(Presumably "the MT Makefile" is the currently checked-in Martin Thompson Makefile in GitHub.)

So is there anything we do to arrange that the "Current committed version as ..." links on the GitHub repository home page work again?

Should we, for now, put the XML documents back into the repository, and either

	1) arrange, somehow, that GitHub automatically regenerate the XML documents if the Markdown documents are updated, if that's possible

or

	2) have everybody who modifies the Markdown documents update the XML documents and check them in with the updated Markdown documents?

Or is there some site that will run kramdown-rfc2629 on a Markdown file and run xml2rfc on the result, along the lines of what xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org does?  I haven't gotten

	https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html#kramdown

to work - I tried pasting https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md into the URL box, selecting "Window", and hitting Submit, but it didn't seem to work, it just popped up a blank window.