[pcap-ng-format] [tcpdump-workers] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sun Oct 18 01:01:40 UTC 2020

Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers at lists.tcpdump.org> wrote:

    >> Yes, kramdown-rfc2629. The MT Makefile does all the magic.

    > (Presumably "the MT Makefile" is the currently checked-in Martin
    > Thompson Makefile in GitHub.)

Yup.

    > So is there anything we do to arrange that the "Current committed
    > version as ..." links on the GitHub repository home page work again?

Yes, there is a travis-ci process that generated the gh-pages.
I haven't done that yet.  It was slightly involved before, but it has gotten
significantly easier I'm told.  Travis-CI does the work.
Oops, it is now "Circle" (CI) that is going it:

   https://github.com/martinthomson/i-d-template/blob/main/doc/REPO.md
   _Automatic Update for Editor's Copy with Circle CI_

    > Should we, for now, put the XML documents back into the repository, and either

    > 1) arrange, somehow, that GitHub automatically regenerate the XML
    > documents if the Markdown documents are updated, if that's possible

Not something we need to re-invent :-)

    > 2) have everybody who modifies the Markdown documents update the XML
    > documents and check them in with the updated Markdown documents?

    > Or is there some site that will run kramdown-rfc2629 on a Markdown file
    > and run xml2rfc on the result, along the lines of what
    > xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org does?  I haven't gotten

    > https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html#kramdown

    > to work - I tried pasting
    > https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md
    > into the URL box, selecting "Window", and hitting Submit, but it didn't
    > seem to work, it just popped up a blank

generally, "gem install kramedown-rfc2629" is all you need to do.
It works across most versions of ruby, and has few dependancies.
xml2rfc recently became python3 dependant, and I think you need the 3.6 f""
bit too.