[pcap-ng-format] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

Michael Tuexen tuexen at fh-muenster.de
Sun Oct 18 08:32:56 UTC 2020

> On 18. Oct 2020, at 01:19, Guy Harris <gharris at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> On Sep 28, 2020, at 4:28 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca> wrote:
>
>> Guy Harris <gharris at sonic.net> wrote:
>>> For 2), I note that
>>
>>> 	https://github.com/pcapng/pcapng/blob/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md
>>
>>> has a bunch of stuff that GitHub isn't treating as markup, such as the
>>> stuff prior to the "Introduction" heading, and the tags such as
>>> "{::boilerplate bcp14}".  Is that an extension of Markdown not
>>> supported by GitHub's Markdown renderer but supported by some
>>> Markdown-to-RFC XML converter
>>
>> Yes, kramdown-rfc2629. The MT Makefile does all the magic.
>
> (Presumably "the MT Makefile" is the currently checked-in Martin Thompson Makefile in GitHub.)
>
> So is there anything we do to arrange that the "Current committed version as ..." links on the GitHub repository home page work again?
>
> Should we, for now, put the XML documents back into the repository, and either
>
> 	1) arrange, somehow, that GitHub automatically regenerate the XML documents if the Markdown documents are updated, if that's possible
>
> or
>
> 	2) have everybody who modifies the Markdown documents update the XML documents and check them in with the updated Markdown documents?
>
> Or is there some site that will run kramdown-rfc2629 on a Markdown file and run xml2rfc on the result, along the lines of what xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org does?  I haven't gotten
>
> 	https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/experimental.html#kramdown
>
> to work - I tried pasting https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md into the URL box, selecting "Window", and hitting Submit, but it didn't seem to work, it just popped up a blank window.

Just a note. I'm using the .xml format and put a link in the README.md, which shows the .txt or .html file based on the current .xml.

See, for example, https://github.com/sctplab/UDPEncapsulation

When you use
https://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?input=&url=https%3A%2F%2Fraw.githubusercontent.com%2Fsctplab%2FUDPEncapsulation%2Fmaster%2Fdraft-tuexen-tsvwg-sctp-udp-encaps-cons.xml&modeAsFormat=html%2Fascii&type=towindow&Submit=Submit
you get the ID AS HTML.

Best regards
Michael