[pcap-ng-format] [tcpdump-workers] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Mon Sep 28 23:31:47 UTC 2020

Guy Harris <gharris at sonic.net> wrote:
    > At some point.

    > Currently, I view it as "up for review by the community", and there
    > have been pull requests from the community applied.

    > Should its publication coincide with the introduction of an IANA
    > registry of link-layer data types (replacing the tcpdump.org one)?

Yes.  We might have awkward overlap period, but it can be managed.

    > Should we publish one RFC for the pcap format and one RFC that includes
    > the current content of the registry?  (The latter would probably be
    > much bigger than the former....)

So, given we have operated on FCFS (with Expert Review), and we have
preferred to have a stable reference, but not insisted upon it, once
the Registry is initialized by the first RFC, we probably just have to circle
back and add anything that we allocated during the interim period.

Or, we might be able to slip them in during AUTH48, but I suspect that IANA
will be happier if we just follow the rules with a short delay.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )