[pcap-ng-format] [tcpdump-workers] New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt

Michael Tuexen tuexen at fh-muenster.de
Mon Sep 28 20:45:56 UTC 2020

Without OPSWG...

> On 28. Sep 2020, at 22:41, Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers at lists.tcpdump.org> wrote:
>

> From: Guy Harris <gharris at sonic.net>
> Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng-02.txt
> Date: 28. September 2020 at 22:41:51 CEST
> To: Michael Tuexen <tuexen at fh-muenster.de>
> Cc: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca>, pcap-ng-format at winpcap.org, opsawg at ietf.org, Jasper Bongertz <jasper at packet-foo.com>, tcpdump-workers at lists.tcpdump.org, Fulvio Risso <fulvio.risso at polito.it>, Gerald Combs <gerald at wireshark.org>
>

> On Sep 28, 2020, at 12:06 PM, Michael Tuexen <tuexen at fh-muenster.de> wrote:

>>> Hi, I have converted the xml to markdown.
>>
>> Why? If we want to publish this, it will be published in xmlv3. So
>> better to use that format earlier...
>
> There are tools to convert Markdown to v2 or v3 RFC XML:
>
> 	https://www.rfc-editor.org/pubprocess/tools/
>
> so:
>
> 	1) is it easier to edit Markdown or RFC XML?
>
> 	2) is Markdown rich enough to do everything we want to do?
>
> For 2), I note that
>
> 	https://github.com/pcapng/pcapng/blob/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.md
>
> has a bunch of stuff that GitHub isn't treating as markup, such as the stuff prior to the "Introduction" heading, and the tags such as "{::boilerplate bcp14}".  Is that an extension of Markdown not supported by GitHub's Markdown renderer but supported by some Markdown-to-RFC XML converter, or incomplete parts of the RFC XML to Markdown conversion?
>
> In addition, the XML version at
>
> 	https://github.com/pcapng/pcapng/blob/master/reference-draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.xml
>
> has some additional Decryption Secrets Block secret formats.  Those have data formats that *themselves* call for figures, and I'd been trying, at one point, to determine how to do that in RFC XML v2 format - it might require v3 format.  Can that be handled with Markdown?
Using conversion tools has always had its drawback. For publishing RFCs I always
used what the RFC editor used for publishing it. Even doing the conversion
manually makes sure you really get the structure you want...

For working on RFC 4960bis I did the conversion .nroff -> .xmlv2 and have on my
todolist .xmlv2 to .xmlv3.

I'm willing to do the work for .pcapng and even .pcap *if* we want to publish this soon.

Best regards
Michael