[pcap-ng-format] about the large initial registry table for gharris-opsawg-pcap

Michael Richardson mcr+ietf at sandelman.ca
Wed Jan 6 23:51:00 UTC 2021

I asked IANA in ticket #1186419 two questions:

> 1) We wonder if IANA would prefer to receive this list in another
> form.
>    Your XML format as an appendix CODE BEGINs?
>    We likely would write code to turn the XML format into a table
>    for libpcap and wireshark...

IANA> This would be just fine, if it would make sense for you. This is our format:

<record date="yyyy-mm-dd">
<value>0</value>
<name>LINKTYPE_NULL</name>
<description>BSD loopback encapsulation</description>
<xref type="draft" data="draft-gharris-opsawg-pcap-01"/>
</record>
[plus more details]

mcr> and I think that it would make sense for us to provide it this way in an
mcr> CODE BEGINs appendix.  We have in a few machine readable formats, I
mcr> think that we (the-tcpdump-group, libpcap) can just make this our
mcr> canonical format. So we'd wget'ed from IANA after document publication.

---

I then asked:

> 2) We had previously reserved 147 thru 162 (LINKTYPE_RESERVED_xx) for
>    Private Use, but we are also specifying 65000 -> 65535 as such.

which would be clearer of several combinations:

>    Would it be clearer to write:
>
> *  values from 0 to 32767 are marked as Specification Required.
>
> *  values from 32768 to 65000 are marked as First-Come First-Served.
>
> *  values from 65000 to 65535 are marked as Private Use.
>
> [and reserve 147->162 in the table]
>
> Or:
>    *  values from 0 to 147 are marked as Specification Required.
>    *  values from 163 to 32767 are marked as Specification Required.
>    *  values from 32768 to 65000 are marked as First-Come First-
> Served.
>    *  values from 147 to 162, and 65000 to 65535 are marked as Private
> Use.
>
> Or:
>    *  values from 0 to 32767 (except 142 to 162) are marked as
> Specification Required.
>    *  values from 32768 to 65000 are marked as First-Come First-
> Served.
>    *  values from 147 to 162, and 65000 to 65535 are marked as Private
> Use.

I think this last one might be the way to go, but if you wanted to present
this information only as a table, we'll be using this style, minus the hex,
in the registry (with "Private Use" in the registration procedure table and
"Reserved for Private Use" in the registry itself):

https://www.iana.org/assignments/bgp-well-known-communities/bgp-well-known-communities.xhtml#bgp-well-known-communities-1

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF at sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )