[Winpcap-users] Feature request: restricting use of winpcap

Ph. Marek philipp.marek at bmlv.gv.at
Mon Aug 1 08:14:11 GMT 2005

Hello everybody!

I'd like to do some packet reading/analysing in a script, giving information
about the network status (sing cdp). That works beautifully parsing the
tethereal output.

What I don't want is giving users on the PC full sniffing capabilities.
Is there a way to restrict communication between the npf driver and other
applications, either by applying an acl to the npf device file, or setting
some registry values to define a filter string and deny packet injection?

I guess the easiest solution would be to set an acl - so the script (which
runs in another security context) could do as it likes.

Regards,

Phil