[Winpcap-users] WinPcap_3_1_beta4: bugreport

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Aug 2 17:59:03 GMT 2005

Hi Franz.

I think this is due to some "unclear" (maybe interaction) between your VPN software and the Windows NDIS networking stack. As explained in FAQ6 (https://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-6), the standard Microsoft VPN client works ok with WinPcap, but we cannot grant that WinPcap will work (or badly interact) with  third party VPN client software.

Regarding the problem of WinPcap 3.0 vs. 3.1beta4, I'm almost sure that the cause of the it is that in WinPcap 3.1beta we have added support for PPP/dialup sniffing through the Microsoft NetMon COM component, i.e. their (not so stable) capture component. I suspect that their COM component breaks your VPN software.