[Winpcap-users] Distribute Winpcap Files with my app

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 20:08:40 GMT 2005

This will never work.
WinPcap is not only a library: it contains several modules, including a
kernel driver.
With dlls, you can easily have private copies, that you put in the
directory of your application, and that don't interact at all with other
tools. The driver, on the other side, is shared by all the winpcap-based
applications, and requires to be loaded inside the operating system with
a proper procedure, so it's not just a matter of copying it in the right
folder.
Moreover, WinPcap is multiplatform, therefore we have different binaries
for the variuos Windows flavours.
As a consequence, our installer is quite complicated, and takes care of:

- detecting and removing old versions of WinPcap (otherwise it's
impossible to install the new driver)
- detecting the operating system
- copying the dlls for the OS in the system folder
- installing and starting the proper driver for the OS

We used to offer a "silent installer", but we're discontinuing it for a
number of technical and non-technical reasons. Meanwhile we're working
on better ways to "OEM" WinPcap into applications. Until they are ready,
I suggest you to just embed the standard winpcap installer, like many
applications (including Ethereal) do.

Loris