[Winpcap-users] packet.dll

Loris Degioanni loris.degioanni at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 11:40:00 GMT 2005

packet.dll is *not* excluded and will not be excluded in future versions
of WinPcap. It's a basic component of our architecture, and we are aware
that many programs rely on it.

However, we always told our users that they sould consider packet.dll an
*internal* API: we want the freedom to change it, if needed, to support
the underlying layers in the best possible way. wpcap.dll, on the other
side, is guaranteed to be stable (unless libpcap changes).

The problem is that, since packet.dll was documented very well, many
users chose it instead libpcap without even understanding well the
differences. For this reason, we just removed the packet.dll from the
official WinPcap manual.

Note that packet.dll is still documented in the sources, and a run of
doxygen is enough to obtain the html docs, you'll just not get them on
the WinPcap website and in developer's pack. This, in our opinion, gives
better guarantees that the programmers using packet.dll know what they
are doing.

Loris