[Winpcap-users] Support to send 802.11 frames

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 9 17:19:11 GMT 2005

Gianluca Varenni wrote:

> Unfortunately, at the moment WinPcap is not able to send 802.11
> management frames, since the underlying Windows API used by WinPcap to
> capture (and send) packets delivers 802.11 packets as fake ethernet
> packets.

...which means it can only deliver and send data frames, not management
or control frames.

This *might* work on Linux or on recent releases of {Free,Net,Open}BSD,
as they support capturing 802.11 packets as real 802.11 packets
(although Linux might do so only in monitor mode, which means that the
machine might not be able to participate in a wireless network).  I
wouldn't assume it would, however.