RES: [Winpcap-users] Mirroring and winpcap

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Mon Aug 29 01:15:55 GMT 2005

Cristian Gallas wrote:

>	Look the code, the only reference I use to brings promiscuous mode,
>is the [1] on parameter to pcap_open, if need do something difference, maybe
>is my mistake.
>
>      FAdapter := pcap_open(PChar(l_Device),
>        WTAP_MAX_PACKET_SIZE, // Capture entire packet //
>        1, // Promiscuous mode      //
>        20, // Read timeout          //
>        @l_auth, // Autenticação remota   //
>        @errbuf);

The WinPcap documentation seems to suggest that your call should be
putting the adapter into promiscuous mode.

However, there are two differences between the call you're making and
the call Ethereal makes:

    1) Ethereal calls pcap_open_live(), not pcap_open();

    2) the code that Ethereal uses to call pcap_open_live() is in C.

Either of those might be the cause of the problem you're seeing.