[Winpcap-users] Using (Win)Pcap to calculate Throughput

Isara Anantavrasilp isara.a at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:38:40 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have been using ntop for a while and impressed its ability to calculate
throughput to remote sites.
Somehow I understand that ntop is using pcap to capture the packets.

I would like to know how can one calculate T-Put from just captured packets?
I have taken a look into tcptop example but still dont really understand.

Plus, what I really like to know is how to calculate t-put of each "flow" (
i.e. each connection).
As I read the WinPcap manual, I understand that one cannot distinguish the
"flow" from just raw packet data.
(At least WinPcap wont do this for us.)
Therefore I would like to ask if someone has any idea how to calculate flow
t-put?
If not, just the overall server t-put is fine.

Thanks a lot!
Isara Anantavrasilp