[Winpcap-users] About TCP/UDP/ICMP checksum

James Garrison jhg at athensgroup.com
Mon Jun 13 16:06:53 GMT 2005

Try googling "tcp checksum" for a wealth of resources.

Also, remember that for gigabit ethernet, most drivers
offload checksum calculation to the adapter, and that happens long
after the packet has been captured by winpcap.  Try doing a capture
of traffic on a gigabit ethernet adapter... all outgoing packets
will be spuriously shown to have "invalid checksum".  In short, you
cannot validate checksums for outgoing traffic on gigabit ethernet.