[Winpcap-users] Libreria winpcap statica?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Jun 22 19:42:30 GMT 2005

Hi Alessandro.

Although the main developers of WinPcap are italian, I think that most of
the subscribers of the mailing list aren't, so they haven't understood a
single word of your mail....

You'd have better chances of finding help if you send the mail in English.

Basically, your questions are

1. can I use VC++.net?

If you use unmanaged C (aka "old style" C/C++), yes, we do it all the time.
If you want to use managed C/C++ (i.e. C targeted to CLR/.NET), probably yes
(= I've never tried to write a complete pcap application), *but* you need to
look at the archives of this mailing list. There are a couple of tweaks that
need to be done in order to avoid some strange errors. In particular I
suggest you to read this thread
http://www.mail-archive.com/winpcap-users@winpcap.polito.it/msg02137.html

2. can I link the wpcap library statically?

You could,  by recompiling the wpcap sources and modifying the project
makefile. *However* this does not make a lot of sense. WinPcap depends on
packet.dll and wanpacket.dll (on win2000/xp/2003), *plus* a kernel driver.
Generally speaking, you cannot embed the whole winpcap library (=dlls and
driver) into a single executable in a simple way.