[Winpcap-users] rpcap protocol

Fulvio Risso fulvio.risso at polito.it
Tue Jun 28 15:55:15 GMT 2005

Hi.

Jeroen . wrote:
> I would like to implement the rpcap protocol as used in the winpcap
> distribution in my own
> application. Can someone give we some pointers to documentation of this
> protocol, if any.
> I looked at the website of winpcap and i must say that it's hard to
> build a client based on that information. These must be some more te find.

We never put the documentation on the website because we do not believe
this is the "last version" of the protocol.
For isntance, we know some architectural bug that we plan to fix, sooner
or later. Moreover, we're having a look at the PSAMP IETF working group
and we would like to migrate this protocol in order to be standard.
However, the PSAMP WG is still ongoing and it does not have any "final"
specification.

> For instance, is it compatible with the rpcap from rpcap.sourcefrge.net
> ? I ran into some posting saying it was not, but those were several
> years old..

No, it is not.
Unless the guy at sourceforge modified his protocol in order to be
compatible with WinPcap.

Cheers,

	fulvio