[Winpcap-users] RE: [tcpdump-workers] Support for win32 named pipes

Gcom, Inc. ethereal at gcom.com
Wed Jun 29 20:46:30 GMT 2005

This isn't sniffing named pipe communication, it's using a named pipe as a
capture interface.

The end result is to allow ethereal (or other libpcap users) to read from a
local win32 named pipe created by our application.  Basically, it's adding
to win32 something that the Unix people have taken for granted:

mknod -p /tmp/my_fifo
my_application > /tmp/my_fifo &
ethereal -i /tmp/my_fifo &

It also avoids trying to open an interface like:  file://\\.\pipe\my_fifo

If we're going to add code to make more capture options available, we'd
rather add them to libpcap/winpcap.

Regards,
Oolan Zimmer
Gcom, Inc.