[Winpcap-users] Can winpcap can get information about MAC header of IEEE 802.11 Frame format

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Nov 10 11:40:55 GMT 2005

jack chotikapakorn wrote:

>     I 'm a newbies for using winpcap. I try to get information from MAC
> header of IEEE 802.11 Frame format. There are anybody tell me how to get
> there information using winpcap or other library.

	http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16

"Wireless adapters may present problems, because they are not properly
supported by the Windows Kernel: some of them are not detected, other
don't support promiscuous mode. In the best case, WinPcap is able to see
an Ethernet emulation and not the real transiting packets: this means
that the 802.11 frames are transformed into fake Ethernet frames before
being captured, and that control frames are not received."

If you want to capture the 802.11 MAC header, try running Linux or
recent versions of the BSDs:

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/WLAN#head-2fcfb4ae9d4e09f91c40d7112ba5103f84b5646d

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/WLAN#head-6d30ecca99d837314bea4d18a7f3fc559f3adc0f

	http://wiki.ethereal.com/CaptureSetup/WLAN#head-64e870485237f0017b8c7ac53819bc75a066b6bb