[Winpcap-users] WinPCap & Managed Extensions

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Wed Oct 12 16:39:17 GMT 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 05:24:19PM +0200, Alessandro Baldisserri wrote:
> In my project I refer to wpcap.lib and consequentially to wpcap.dll,
> further more I refer to packet.lib and consequentially to packet.dll.
> I don't use wanpacket.dll, and NM driver.

Actually you do, although you don't link to it directly.  packet.dll
links against it (depends.exe, which is installed by visual studio, is
helpful for showing that kind of thing), so as soon as the load of
packet.dll finishes, wanpacket.dll has also been loaded (and the NM
driver has been started).

> In windows XP I don't how to set startup of a driver at boot, but I
> change in the Registry, on the Value "Start" of the key associated
> with the driver NPF, I put 1, that mean "start at boot". It's correct?

Yes, that is correct -- 1 means "start at boot".

> but result is the same....service start and stop with an error... I
> post the error:
>
> Not able to start service. System.TypeLoadException: not able to load
> type pcap on assembly MyService, Version=1.0.2111.29138,
> Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.

Ah, I think I understand better now.  Yes, look at the message that
Gianluca posted a link to -- that's exactly the sam exception as what
you're seeing here.  It doesn't have anything to do with what I was
saying about service/driver dependencies and DLLs, so never mind that
(and you can probably revert the Start value in the registry for the NPF
driver too).