[Winpcap-users] Stop Capture with "pcap_next_ex"

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Thu Apr 13 14:50:19 GMT 2006

Benjamin,

what do you mean exactly by "stopping the capture correctly"?

pcap_next_ex is simpluy an API reading packets from a WinPcap adapter (like a read on a socket or file), so there's nothing so special to do.

In general if you want to close your app cleanly (well, every application!) when Ctrl-C is hit, you should register a handler for the Ctrl-C "signal" and in this handler set some flag that tells the main thread (i.e. the one running main()) to stop looping over pcap_next_ex()

This is just some pseudocode (I haven't looked at the documentation, so the prototype of the handler is probably wrong):

volatile int g_stop_reading = FALSE;

void ctrl_c_handler()
{
    g_stop_reading = TRUE;
}

int main()
{

register_ctrl_c_handler(ctrl_c_handler);

p = pcap_open_live();

while(!g_stop_read)
{
    result = pcap_next_ex(...);