[Winpcap-users] pcap_findalldevs Hangs when calledinWindowsservice

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Aug 14 17:03:41 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas O'Hare" <Tom at redtile.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 9:20 AM
Subject: Re: [Winpcap-users] pcap_findalldevs Hangs when
calledinWindowsservice

> Richard
>
> If that is the case then my 2 cents says it's a security issue.  XP has,
> IMO, much worse security setup then server OS's.

A security issue shouldn't cause an app to hang. My suspect is that there's
a problem with service dependencies causing a deadlock: the service control
manager (SCM) holds some locks while starting a service, similar to the
routines (similar to the limitations when writing the DllMain entry point of
a Dll).