[Winpcap-users] Pcap_list_datalinks return bad number of links.

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 25 01:29:21 GMT 2006

On Aug 24, 2006, at 3:11 PM, Steve Beaudoin wrote:

> You are absolutely right.  The received array was the wrong item of
> the two.  Following your suggestion, I changed my ref int[] for a
> ref IntPtr and I now receive two items, the other one is DOCSIS
> (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS
>  for those interested) as I have a cable modem.
No, the other one is DOCSIS because

	1) you have an Ethernet (or something that claims to be an Ethernet)

and

	2) Cisco has a device, the Cisco Cable Modem Termination System:

		http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk86/tk804/tsd_technology_support_protocol_home.html

	   that can be configured to take raw DOCSIS frames and transmit them
on an Ethernet (using only the low-level Ethernet framing and *no*
encapsulation, so the first byte of the Ethernet frame is the first
byte of the DOCSIS frame, *NOT* the first byte of an Ethernet
destination MAC address):

		http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/cable/cab_rout/cmtsfg/ufg_cmon.htm#wp1031861

	   so that a network analyzer can capture and process them.

Wireshark is one analyzer that can process DOCSIS frames; if you're
plugged into an "Ethernet" that's connected to a Cisco CMTS, and the
CMTS is putting DOCSIS frames on the Ethernet, you'd capture with the
link-layer type set to DOCSIS, which would cause the device to appear
to have a link-layer type of DOCSIS and thus cause Wireshark to
analyzer the frames as DOCSIS frames.

Unless your cable modem has a similar capability, or you have some
device that can capture on the cable side of the cable modem, you
won't be able to see DOCSIS frames.