[Winpcap-users] Using WipCap to reduce CPU%

Donald Woo dwoo at ra.rockwell.com
Fri Aug 25 18:55:05 GMT 2006

I'm writing a VB .Net app to captured TCP/IP data from a source,  it is
sending 406 byte packets approx. every 1 msec.  I can perform this capture
but at a very high cost to the
cpu,  somewhere between 98-100% !!!!    This is just from calling the
stream read off the socket

                        'read data from socket
                        Dim nNumReadBytes As Integer = m_nsReadStream.Read(m_bReadBuffer, 0, g_nNumBytesToRead)

Can I use this to take the load off the cpu or do I need a packet capture
card?

dw