[Winpcap-users] Is there a comprehensive list of NICs that WinPCap supports?

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Feb 3 22:05:49 GMT 2006

On Feb 3, 2006, at 10:50 AM, David Barnish wrote:

> Does anyone know where I could get the info to compile a list of
> NICs that are supported by WinPCap?

MicroLogix has *a* list of network adapters with information about
WinPcap support:

	http://www.micro-logix.com/WinPcap/Supported.asp

However:

> By "supported", I mean able to capture ethernet packets in
> promiscuous mode.

...many of them are still not able to capture Ethernet packets,
because they're not Ethernet adapters, they're 802.11 adapters. :-)

Also, their list doesn't specifically mention promiscuous mode - they
just classify cards as "works" or "doesn't work".

(Note that this isn't an "official" list; as far as I know, the
WinPcap developers don't maintain an official list, as they probably
don't have time to test all the zillions of network adapters out
there, much less the money to buy an instance of each of them - note
that some of them aren't "NICs", they're on-board adapters, so you'd
have to buy a machine with the adapter to test it.)